Type of paper:Coursework
Discipline:Psychology and Education : Psychology
Format or citation style:APA (edition “APA 6”)
Prior to beginning work on this discussion, read the article, “Sentencing Advocates Enhance Reasoned Court Decisions,” then read the list of infamous murderers whose high profile crimes dominated headlines for many years. Choose one of these individuals to become your client for the remainder of the course. That is, this individual and case will be the topic of your final assignment in the course:
select the link “Killer Bios” for a list of these infamous murderers. In that link, you will find several Ashford University Library sources on each murderer. In addition, there are some starter links listed below under each name.
Imagine that you have been retained by the client’s defense attorney as a death penalty mitigation expert. Your role in this capacity is to work as a sentencing advocate on behalf of your client (the defendant). In your initial post of 300 words, please examine the following and address the questions below:
1. Tell us which client you chose and why. That is, what was it about the case that interested you?
2 .Based upon your preliminary research on this case/client and your assigned textbook readings, what mental disorders might your client be suffering from that may have contributed to the crime?
3. Describe the disorder including its signs and symptoms. Connect those that you believe apply to your client’s behavior.
4. What does your textbook say about the likelihood that your client’s mental states contributed to the crime?
5. Discuss whether psychopathy, insanity, or competence to stand trial are potential issues in your client’s case based upon your preliminary research of the case and your assigned textbook readings.
6. Support your claims with examples from the required materials, other scholarly and/or credible sources, and properly cite any references.
Support your claims with examples from the required materials and/or other scholarly or credible sources, and properly cite any references