Membranes and Transport
Date __________ Section ________
1. The _________ ___________________ is the boundary that regulates movement into and out of the cell.
2. The membrane is composed of a _______________ built mostly of ____________ and __________________.
3. ____________________ helps make animal membranes more rigid.
4. The ______________________ are made of a _________________ head and two _________ ________ tails.
5. The outer portion of the membrane is polar and ____________ water while the internal portion is nonpolar and
6. The ______________ proteins give cells their identity. They have a unique pattern of ____________________
attached to them which helps identify a cell as part of a tissue or part of an organism.
7. Chemical messages can be transmitted across the membrane by ___________________ proteins.
8. Ions and polar molecules can move across membranes through passages in ___________________ proteins.
9. _________________ proteins can change shape allowing certain materials to move in or out of the cell.
10. A group of proteins embedded in the membrane called _____________ can speed up reactions within the cell.
11. The random movement of particles like O2, CO2, or H2O across the membrane is called…________________.
12. ___________________ _________________ is the term used when transport proteins are required to move
particles across the membrane.
13. The diffusion of water across the membrane is called… ______________________
14. A ____________________ ______________________ forms when one area of a container has a higher
concentration of particles that another.
15. A ______________________ solution has a lower concentration of solutes (higher concentration of water) than
a cell immersed within it. The cell will _______________ and possibly burst as water diffuses in.
16. A ______________________ solution has a higher concentration of solutes (lower concentration of water) than
a cell immersed within it. The cell will _______________ as water diffuses out.
17. A ______________________ solution has an equal concentration of solutes as a cell immersed within it. The
cell will maintain its _______________ as water diffuses in and out at the same rate.
18. ____________________ occurs when the cytoplasm shrinks away from the cell wall when a cell is placed in a
19. ________________ _________________ is the movement of particles against the concentration gradient with
the use of energy.
20. What is the process of cells engulfing large materials called? ________________
21. Some unicellular organisms engulf entire cells, forming a food vacuole, in a process called ________________.
22. _________________ is the removal of particles too large to diffuse through the membrane.
Copyright © 2019 • All Rights Reserved • Expandable Mind Software, LLC