Federal Sector-Specific Agencies SSAs
The goals identified in the National Infrastructure Protection Plan (NIPP) are to protect the nation’s critical infrastructure and key resources (CI/KR). The NIPP identifies the Department of Homeland Security; Federal Sector-Specific Agencies (SSAs); and other Federal, State, local, tribal, and private sector security partners to achieve the goals through the follow activities:
· Set security goals: Define specific outcomes, conditions, end points, and/or performance targets that collectively constitute an effective protective posture.
· Identify assets, systems, networks, and functions: Develop an inventory of the assets, systems, and networks, including those located outside the United States, that comprise the Nation’s CI/KR and the critical functionality therein; collect information pertinent to risk management that accounts for the fundamental characteristics of each sector.
· Assess risks: Determine risk by combining potential direct and indirect consequences of a terrorist attack or other hazards (including seasonal changes in consequences, dependencies and interdependencies associated with each identified asset, system, or network), known vulnerabilities to various potential attack vectors, and general or specific threat information.
· Prioritize: Aggregate and analyze risk assessment results to develop a comprehensive picture of asset, system, and network risk; establish priorities based on risk and determine protection and business continuity initiatives that provide the greatest mitigation of risk.
· Implement protective programs: Select sector-appropriate protective actions or programs to reduce or manage the risk identified; secure the resources needed to address priorities.
· Measure effectiveness: Use metrics and other evaluation procedures at the national and sector levels to measure progress and assess the effectiveness of the national CI/KR protection program in improving protection, managing risk, and increasing resiliency (HLS, 2006)
The Federal Sector-Specific Agencies (SSAs) collaborate with the security partners to oversee these activities. After reviewing these activities, are there any modifications that you would recommend?
300-450 words excluding references, APA format and a minimum of 3 references