1. Internal ecological accounting provides information for a number of internal
environmental impact added objects. What are these objects? Does internal
ecological accounting information differ depending on the object chosen (e.g.
site, product) or is the same information needed by all managers?
2. Are there any circumstances when top management will be interested in detailed
ecological accounting information? Explain.
3. How does an EIA statement add value for internal management?
4. What is an eco-asset sheet? Does the value of eco-assets balance with those of
eco-liabilities and eco-equity?
5. What is critical natural capital? Provide examples. For a company, who
determines whether natural capital is a ‘critical’ ecological resource? Is there a
difference between ‘other’ natural capital and artificial capital? Are they substitutes for each other?
6. Why is it that techniques for putting financial values on eco-assets are fraught
7. Compare environmental stocks and flows with financial stocks and flows.When
tracking and recording these stocks and flows, what are the similarities and
differences in processes used?
8. List the main categories of data quality. Do environmental indicators use all,
some or none of these categories. Provide an example to support your view
based on one environmental medium (e.g. water quality, air quality).
11. internal ecological accounting 313
9. Distinguish between the main approaches to impact assessment. Explain the
three steps that lead to construction of an EIA index. Can environmental impact
added ever be negative?
10. Construct an environmental profile for a company of your choice. How might
the profile be of use to management?
11. The field of ‘ontology’ studies different views of reality. Why are different
ontological viewpoints important when determining the volume of information
that needs to be produced by an ecological accounting system for managers?
12. Name and explain two allocation rules and two allocation keys. Why are
allocation rules and keys important to lower-level management? If you were a
site manager in a chemical company, with a single incinerator for all sites located
on your site and under your control, which rule and key would you favour? Give
13. Can the environmental impacts of one EIA centre be linked to the environmental
impacts of another EIA centre? Provide an example to confirm your view? Do
any control or responsibility problems arise? If there are any problems, how
might they be resolved?