Art 224 Comparison of Beauty
Final Project Comparison of Beauty
1. Review images of female “beauties” that we have covered this quarter including: Venus of Willendorf (1-5), Female Head of Inanna (2-4), portrait bust of Nefertiti (3-31), Cycladic figure of a woman (4-2), La Parisienne 4-7), Peplos Kore (5-10), Caryatid (5-54), Nike adjusting her sandal (5-56), Aphrodite of Knidos (5-62), Venus de Milo (5-83), Tellus? (7-30), Theodora (9-14), Virgin Theotokos (9-19)
2. Select TWO of the artworks listed above for COMPARISON
3. Write a 3-5 page paper (700-1200 words) discussing similarities and distinctions of the pair you select by exploring art styles, purposes, materials and cultural environments.
· Include a title for your paper and an introduction paragraph with a well-defined thesis statement where you identify the works of art (Artist if known, Title, Date) and state the main theme(s) of your comparison – your THESIS statement.
· The body of your paper should include specific examples to support your thesis and conclude with a paragraph summarizing your paper by restating your thesis and the points covered in your report.
· To assist in your comparison, you might consider historical, cultural, moral, and social contexts, attitude, pose, gesture, dress, location, involvement with the viewer, etc.
· Work from an outline – each of which should support your thesis.
· Do not offer your opinion of the paintings, or of the artists – avoid “beautiful” “masterpiece” and other superlatives. Do not state that this work is “amazing” or that this is a “great artist” – that goes without saying. This paper is not about how much you like or do not like the painting. FORMAT: 3-5 pages (approx. 700-1200 words), double-space, 12 point font, 1” margins. Edit paper for grammar and spelling. SOURCES: You must include at least 3 sources (beyond textbook – NOT Wikipedia). Include footnotes and a bibliography using any standard citation formation including: Chicago Manual Style, http://www.libs.uga.edu/ref/chicago2009.pdf MLA, http://www.umuc.edu/library/libhow/mla_examples.cfm or APA http://www.umuc.edu/library/libhow/apa_examples.cfm For information on writing about art history: https://writingcenter.unc.edu/tips-and-tools/comparing-and-contrasting/ https://writingcenter.unc.edu/tips-and-tools/art-history/ https://www.hamilton.edu/academics/centers/writing/writing-resources/writing-an-art-history-paper