Anthropology 3: Introduction to Cultural Anthropology (Online Course)
First you must carefully read the assigned article. Each assigned article will be provided as a
online link in the individual assignment tab. Click on the assignment and the link will be
available for download. After carefully reading the article type a summary (in your own words)
of the reading. Your summary should be a clear and concise discussion of the chapter
highlighting the thesis statement and focusing on the anthropological aspect of the reading.
Your synopsis should prove your overall comprehension of the article, as well as its relation to
the discipline of cultural anthropology. Excessive use of quotes will dramatically decrease your
grade. You are expected to summarize the article using your own words and ideas. This is not
meant to be an opinion-oriented paper. Please refrain from telling me weather you liked or
disliked the article. The tone of this paper should be academic, and you are expected to prove
that you read and understood the assigned article.
• Minimum =2 Pages (of content)
• Maximum=3 Pages (of content)
• Type your paper on a computer and then upload via Canvas. Instructions for this can be
found on our Canvas page.
• Double-space the text of your paper
• Times New Roman font.
• The font size should be 12 pt.
• Set the margins of your document to 1 inch on all sides.
• Indent the first line of paragraphs one half-inch from the left margin. MLA recommends
that you use the Tab key as opposed to pushing the Space Bar five times.
• Create a header that numbers all pages consecutively in the upper right-hand corner, onehalf inch from the top and flush with the right margin.
RUBERIC: Here is a breakdown of how I will be grading the article summaries. If your paper
fully meets all these requirements you should expect full credit for your work.
Grammar= 2 points
Thesis of the article is clearly restated and discussed =6 points
Anthropological aspect of the article was the focus = 8
A conclusion that restated the overall purpose of the article is provided= 4
Total Points Possible= 20 points